In this inaugural episode, we are joined by Barb Shellian RN, MN, a powerhouse in nurse leadership. We talk about Barb’s views on many aspects of nursing, and we even talk a little bit about farmers and cowboys!
In this episode we discuss:
- Reflections on 45 years of nursing
- How nurses can show leadership in any position
- Her four pillars of leadership
- The top resources she recommends
- The biggest challenge facing nurses today
- How we can support new graduates
- Ways for nurses to expand their influence and advocacy
- And so much more…
Key 3 Points
- Self-reflection is critical to leadership.
- Connect with unbelievable mentors who have the characteristics you want to understand.
- If you want change, prepare yourself accordingly.
Words Worth Sharing
“The people that you’re caring for, the families and the patients, see you as a leader because you have the knowledge and the skills that they’re depending on.” Barb Shellian
“You have to prepared and school yourself in what it takes to be a good leader.” Barb Shelllian
“Be prepared. Be resilient. Be relentless. Be yourself.” Barb Shellian